Ed Helms: 'The Hangover' Led to Anxiety and Turmoil - Variety



Ed Helms: 'The Hangover' Led to Anxiety and Turmoil





Ed Helms was a outlandish face from “The Daily Show” and “The Office” when he settled a role in “The Hangover” alongside Bradley Cooper and Zach Galifianakis. The 2009 comedy blockbuster launched a trilogy and, as Helms said on a novel episode of the “Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend” podcast, created a “tornado of fame” that left him riddled with scare about his career.



“It was a tornado of fame and a lot of buffeting,” Helms said of his career at what time “The Hangover” became the highest-grossing R rated comedy in history. “It was very overwhelming.”



Helms explained “The Hangover” fame as “a whole new level” compared to inhabit on “The Daily Show” and “The Office,” adding, “I really was reeling a lot of the time, like in the aftermath of ‘The Hangover’… I was unsheathing scripts for all these different kinds of projects. ‘Like what do I do? I dunno.’ I was kind of spinning out and panicking approximately different things. Like, ‘Well, what kind of a career do you want?’”



While he felt “very lucky” to have more opportunities, Helms said that he “definitely felt a lot of scare and like identity kind of — just turmoil.”



“I will say one of the — one of the craziest things approximately a massive jump into fame like that, and what I consider people who have never dealt with that or been conclude to it just can’t understand, is the just total loss of rule of your environment.”



Helms starred in all three “Hangover” films and relied on Cooper and Galifianakis to keep him sane. “If it wasn’t for those guys, I don’t consider I would’ve stayed sane,” the actor said. “But we all had each latest to kind of be like, you know, I don’t know, just to commiserate and measure ourselves… and I consider we kept each other from drifting too far. And inhabit too unprofessional.”



Helms most recently starred on the short-lived Peacock series “Rutherford Falls” and appeared in films such as “Together Together” and “Ron’s Gone Wrong.”