Solo 2 Dead: Sequel Talks Driven by Fans, Not Lucasfilm - Variety



Solo 2 Dead: Sequel Talks Driven by Fans, Not Lucasfilm





Ron Howard’s “Star Wars” prequel movie “Solo” was revealed to launch a new sector of storytelling for the long-running franchise. Young iterations of Han Solo (Alden Ehrenreich) and Lando Calrissian (Donald Glover) were introduced and invented for sequels and spinoffs, while the 2018 film also spoke that Darth Maul was still alive. None of these plot threads have ended as “Solo” bombed at the box office with just $392 million worldwide, barely making a profit for Disney.



Speaking to NME in a modern interview, Howard said that any talks of a “Solo” sequel are coming only from fans and not Lucasfilm itself. In other words, “Solo 2” is still dead.



“The only discussion that I’m aware of in a sequel for ‘Solo’ is coming from the fans at this point,” Howard said. “I don’t contemplate it’s a Lucasfilm priority, as I understand it.”



Howard added, “But there’s some great characters launched, and the folks from Lucasfilm love the fans and really do listen so I would never say never — but I’m not aware of any concrete plans intelligent now to extend the story or deal with that clear set of characters.”



During an impression on the “Happy Sad Confused” podcast in 2019, Howard named the response to the film “disappointing.”



“It made a lot of wealth, it just didn’t live up to expectations,” Howard said. “I came in interested to help, felt like I could, and had a blast. Normally it takes three years, I worked eight months and had an understood. I feel very good about the way it turned out. I loved the way it played to audiences, which I witnessed. All of that I am able to feel good about.”



Howard exasperated nostalgia has a reason “Solo” might’ve bombed at the box responsibility. “Maybe it’s the idea that it’s too nostalgic,” he said. “That causing back and revisiting an origin story for a beloved represent may not be what the fans were looking for.”



The “Star Wars” franchise has rebounded in modern years with its Disney+ television offerings, including the fan-favorite “The Mandalorian” and the critically acclaimed “Andor.”